Thursday, April 21, 2011

Project 2 Update

Ok so I finally presented a concept building to my tutor yesterday and it seem I'm heading in the right direction (FINALLY). What I'm aiming to do with my building is create a multipurpose/ use building which will be designed for market use but could easy be adaptable for things such as, art performance and shows, exhibition space, storage, and possibly even residential. The building concept has a lot of potential. So what is the concept I here you asking? Well what I want to do is create what I'm referring to as a dock building. My building will enable people to bring in their own shipping containers (fitted out as they see fit) to the site, from here they will be able to plug them in to the side of the building. The buildings geometry has been guided by the shape of the containers and has been made big enough to incorporate 20 individual containers over 4 levels.

This all sounds great but how does it react with your folie and the group theme brief I hear you ask? well the two concepts from the folie, minimal interruption to the thoroughfare elements of the site and a structure that offers users a different perspective of the site, have both been achieved. By setting the building back into the cliffs and by opening up much of the ground floor the building will not only minimise disruption to the thoroughfare elements of the site but will actually increase public space and creates spaces for slower moving traffic to go which is removed from the fast moving areas and also opens up new connections to the top of the cliffs ( aimly new farm and the valley). As for the different perspective of the site part of my brief, the building is designed to be constantly changing. the facade will differ depending on how heavily its used and by whom it is used. When not in use it will be a relatively standard yet complex eye catcher but when in use, the dynamics of the building will change immensely creating, not only a constantly changing perspective for site users but also a functional space that will draw people to the site.

Aspects of my group theme brief that have been addressed so far are the building typology and new technology. The building typology (multi-prepose market building) was chosen because it allows me to create a building that can be both heavily or lightly used. I didn't want a building that would be used intensively all the time because it would alter the culture of the site. Instead I wanted to create a building that could offer a different cultural perspective at times but at others would allow the site to be what it has always been ( a quite area that's open for interpretation). as for the new technology my building aims to be a relatively new building style/typology but to really reinforce the group theme I'm hoping to use new technology to enable the structure to be built. I want to use new construction materials to deal with mass weight issues of the building and to create a new aesthetic. I'm also hoping to be able to harvest energy of the building users. research is currently be conducted into using human movement to charge batteries. I want to take this research and apply it in a way that will see users energy being harvested and used to power the building.

I hope that my building will activate the site and one of the other concepts of the building will be to have the users activate it. as discussed, the ways the building is used by people (heavily or lightly) will dictate what the facade looks like but through the us of technology I hope to be able to harvest energy cased by people using the building which will in turn power the building. with this in mind I hope to achieve a fully user activated building both visually and mechanically.

No comments:

Post a Comment